[Mailman-Users] password required for public archives?

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Fri Sep 11 17:16:07 CEST 2009

I'm sure this is a standard problem, but I haven't found the answer in
any of the FAQs or by searching the mailing list archives.

A customer asked that we change archives of an existing list from
private to public. That's done, but Mailman still requests a password,
even from a new browser with no cookies installed.

Apache uses the FollowSymLinks option for public lists, and I have
restarted both Apache and Mailman.

Here's the Mailman config for apache:

# mailman stuff
ScriptAlias /mailman/       /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>
# end mailman stuff

Thanks in advance for clues on making archives accessible without a
password.

dn