[Mailman-Users] Test mesages

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Fri Sep 11 15:10:37 CEST 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 10:27 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>> Sure.  But why bother?
>
>Well, you already get 90% of that for free in MM3 already, except it's
>only exposed in the test suite.  Launchpad has similar functionality
>and for developers, it's very useful.  It's probably not useful to the
>major of deployments, so it shouldn't be a prominent option, but it
>could be an option nonetheless.
>
>> IMO a much more useful approach would be a
>> simple way to clone a list in every way but the membership list and
>> the name.

Barry Warsaw replied:
>There are two aspects to "cloning".  MM3 already has a style
>management facility, which allows for defining a set of defaults that
>can be applied to a list when it's created, or even afterward.  But
>those are choices of system defined options.  What's not currently
>available is the ability to copy user supplied information from one
>list to another.  That might be an interesting addition.

>> BTW, I think that MM developers is the wrong place for this
>> discussion, as clearly there's a major difference of consciousness
>> between me and Mark on the one hand and LuKreme on the other.  That's
>> not a situation where we can take a well-understood requirement to MMD
>> and bang out a spec.  If something needs to be done here, we need to
>> get "real users'" opinions of what needs doing, I think.
>

>I agree it's important to gather user requirements, but this
>particular discussion seems to center on new features, so it
>definitely crosses over to developers.
>
>-Barry

I have a number of list templates (around 20) that I have created.
When I need to create a new list, I pick the proper template,
copy it to a new file, modify that file for the new list
(real_name, info, description, archive and digest options, etc.)
and then run a script that creates the new list from the file I
have just modified.

Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov