[Mailman-Users] question aabout bounces..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 12 01:05:09 CEST 2009

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>what are the files in : /var/lib/mailman/data/bounce-events####.pck ? and what's the difference between them and those in: /var/spool/mailman/bounces/*.pck ??

The files /var/spool/mailman/bounces/*.pck are individual messages
delivered to LIST-bounces at ... and waiting to be processed by
BounceRunner. If these files are there for more than a few seconds,
BounceRunner is not running.

The files /var/lib/mailman/data/bounce-events####.pck are a secondary
queue. When bounces from the /var/spool/mailman/bounces/ queue are
processed by Mailman, they are queued in a secondary queue which is
processed only once every 15 minutes.
/var/lib/mailman/data/bounce-events####.pck is that queue. #### is the
PID of the process that owns it. If #### is not the PID of a currently
running BounceRunner or OutgoingRunner process, that file is dead and
can be removed as the bounces therein are already lost.

>and what happens if I deleted these files from both directories? and is it ok to do that ?

Do not delete any /var/spool/mailman/bounces/*.pck files. Instead, look
in Mailman's qrunner and error logs and find out why BounceRunner is
dying. Fix the problem and restart Mailman. You can delete any
/var/lib/mailman/data/bounce-events####.pck files for non-current PIDs.

Actually, you can delete all the files and the only thing that will
happen is the bounces therein will not be recorded, but this won't
solve the ongoing problem.