[Mailman-Users] qrunner question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 11 22:27:16 CEST 2009

Lindsay Haisley wrote

>I'm trying to test a list to which fairly long HTML-ized (ugh!) posts
>will be posted by a customer.  For testing, I have only a couple of
>addresses (mine) on the subscriber list, but when I post, qrunner takes
>like half an hour to push the posts through so I can see what's going
>on.
>
>Is there any way a) see what posts are in the qrunner queue

ls -lR qfiles

*.pck files are queue entries waiting to be processed. *.bak files are
queue entries currently being processed (at most one per queue per
qrunner slice).

>and b) force
>qrunner to process the queue immediately?  Will the "qrunner -r All"
>accomplish this?

That's a really bad idea. First, if you are going to do this, you would
probably want "qrunner -o -r All", but even then, two bad things will
happen. The new runner will 'recover' and reprocess any .bak files
resulting in duplications, and race conditions between the new runner
and the existing runner will cause variopus unpredictable problems,
e.g. those discussed in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/_4A9>.

Unless you have set QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME to something like 15 to 30
minutes in mm_cfg.py, the existing runners will process their queues
sleeping for only 1 second when the queue is empty.

You can determine to some degree where the delay(s) are from Mailman's
SMTP log. Find the entry for your post. Similar to:

Sep 11 11:12:02 2009 (12318) <message-id> smtp to listname for n
recips, completed in t.ttt seconds

The t.ttt seconds is the time the message actually spent in process in
OutgoingRunner. The timestamp minus this time is the time that
OutgoingRunner began processing this entry. That time minus the time
you sent the post is the sum of the time to queue the post for
IncomingRunner (very small), the time it spent in qfiles/in,
processing time in IncomingRunner (usually small, but if you have some
SpamAssassin or other custom handler in the pipeline, could be long)
and the time spent in qfiles/out.