[Mailman-Users] Test mesages

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Fri Sep 11 05:39:24 CEST 2009

On 10-Sep-2009, at 15:04, Adam McGreggor wrote:
On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 02:53:43PM -0600, LuKreme wrote:
>> Or maybe there's something else I should do? Basically, I wanted to
>> tail -f /var/log/maillog and watch the message come in and get sent
>> ensure the list was working properly.
>
> If you just want to see that, why not set yourself/another account you
> use as moderated, and watch your logs for that: the mail will get to
> the list, but won't go beyond the checks, unless you otherwise chose.

What I am trying to see if the message get to the list, and the
message get back out. I want to see what mailman does with it, and
what postfix does to a message FROM the list.

Setting up a test list is an idea, but I have had situations where a
one list didn't work (specifically a list on a virtual host) even
though all the others did. Being able to see the full route would have
helped in that situation.

A test list is great for testing mailman, but it doesn't test a
specific list except the test list.

On 10-Sep-2009, at 16:04, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> The trouble with this suggestion (and others) is that all it does is
>> stop the messages once it gets to the list. What I want to see is the
>> 'full loop' of the message as I send it, and as it gets sent back
>> to me.
>
> Which by definition you can't strictly do because you have to alter
> the
> outgoing process in some way to remove the other recipients so you are
> not testing the original process.

I would see a message hit the mailserver, go to mailman, and then go
from mailman to the server and out.  This is the full loop.

> So you don't trust Mailman.

Actually, in this case where I am most likely to see a problem is in a
misconfiguration of postfix that doesn't allow the list message to be
sent because it gets caught up in some anti-spam/anti-spoof measure
I've implemented, or as I mentioned before, the case where everything
works fine for local domains and regular /etc/postfix/virtual, but
blows up on the mysql virtual domains.

> You can accomplish what you want in a kludgey way (subject to the
> above) with manual steps.

OK, I'll take a look at those.

> Assuming I actually wanted to implement a feature to optionally send
> posts to say list-owner instead of the elligible list members, how
> would you want this to work? Would it be a list setting or triggered
> by some magik in the post.

Neither. I think the best way to do this would be to have a list-ping
email address where all it does is send you back your message as if it
had been posted to the entire list, but sent only to you. That is,
with footers attached, attachments, scraped, subject changed, etc.
Whatever the message would like like had it gone out, that's what you
get back, only you're the only recipient.

--
The Steve is seen, rightly or wrongly, as the visionary, the
	leader, the savant. Bill is the Boswell to The Steve's Johnson,