[Mailman-Users] Settings

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 8 05:39:52 CEST 2009

certuspersonality wrote:

>We are using Mailman as part of Cpanel on the Linux server at which
>our domain is hosted.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9> and interpret the
following responses in terms of that FAQ.

>We allowed list members to post messages to the board but this has
>lately been misused to send spam messages around.
>We have not been successful in altering the settings to adjust for
>this new situation; maybe you can help us.
>
>We now want the members list to be used in the following way only.
>
>1) Only allow the administrator to post messages on the board.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9>.
Set all members moderated
Set Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> default_member_moderation
to Yes

>2) Automatically direct all member messages to the administrator for
>further handling.

Set Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> member_moderation_action to
Hold

>3) Allow new members to subscribe but have the administrator approve
>of their subscription.

Set Privacy options... -> Subscription rules -> subscribe_policy to
Require approval

>4) Allow unsubscriptions but inform the administrator of such.

Set Privacy options... -> Subscription rules -> unsubscribe_policy to No
Set General Options -> admin_notify_mchanges to Yes

>What is the best way to let list members unsubscribe?

Set Privacy options... -> Subscription rules -> unsubscribe_policy to No
and list members can unsubscribe themselves via web or email.