[Mailman-Users] Opt out footers as .txt attachments preventing CANSPAM Act compliance

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 5 01:20:30 CEST 2009

Keith Jarvis wrote:

>I'm part of a small nonprofit running Mailman version 2.1.9 and we have
>consistently found that most of our subscribers receive the footers where
>the opt out language is as .txt attachments and therefore do not know how to
>opt out.
[...]
>Is it fixed in current versions?  Are there repairs available to this
>problem that a poor nonprofit without staff web developers or IT funds can
>afford or know how to implement?

There are no differences between 2.1.9 and the latest 2.1.12 release in
this respect. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9> and
consider option 2 - post only plain text and/or configure content
filtering to remove all non-plain-text.

Do you have an actual reference stating that the unsubscribe
information is not compliant if it is in a separate MIME part?