[Mailman-Users] Virtual domain support

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 8 02:32:49 CEST 2009

Geoff Shang wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>
>>   I have a multi setup for mailman to host multiple domains.  All my list
>> domains are configured as 'lists.$domain', for example 'lists.yeehaw.net'.
>> My mailman installations all go under /home/mailman/lists.$domain
>>
>>   I don't know how this is done in postfix, but in sendmail I have the
>> following:
>>
>>   =====> /etc/mail/aliases/$domain-aliases
>>   mailman-lists.$domain           \
>>       "|/home/mailman/lists.$domain/mail/$domain-mailman post mailman"
>>   mailman-admin-lists.$domain:    \
>>       "|/home/mailman/lists.$domain/mail/$domain-mailman admin mailman"
>
>Ok but how do you get Mailman to produce alias tables that look like that?
>Or don't you?  Mine only  have the list address part, not the fully
>qualified list address.

For Postfix integration, you need to do a few things.

Consider only the one mailman instance for the domain example.com. The
others will be analagous.

in mm_cfg.py, add

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example.com']

This will cause mailman to also write data/virtual-mailman with entries
like

list at example.com        list
list-admin at example.com  list-admin

in addition to data/aliases with entries like

list:       "|path/to/wrapper post list"
list-admin: "|path/to/wrapper admin list"

for each list. The data/virtual-mailman(.db) is analagous to Ashley's
/etc/mail/virtusertable.

There is still a problem in that there is a potential list name
conflict, so to resolve that, you need to make a patch (see attached
Postfix.patch.txt) to Mailman/MTA/Postfix to make virtual-mailman and
aliases look like

list at example.com        list.example.com
list-admin at example.com  list-admin.example.com

and

list.example.com:       "|path/to/wrapper post list"
list-admin.example.com: "|path/to/wrapper admin list"

Then you need the following in Postfix's main.cf

alias_maps = ...
   hash:/path/to/example.com's/data/aliases

virtual_alias_domains ...  example.com

virtual_alias_maps = ...
   hash:/path/to/example.com's/data/virtual-mailman

And probably also if you don't have them anyway

recipient_delimiter = +
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550