[Mailman-Users] OT: Yahoo Deferrals

Jeff Grossman jeffg at turners.com
Fri Oct 2 17:46:26 CEST 2009

I have a question regarding Yahoo deferrals.  I know this subject has
been talked about a lot.  Everything I could find via Google was from at
least a year ago though.  I was wondering if anybody has found new ways
of limiting the Yahoo deferrals?  I run two mailing lists.  Each one is
an announcement only list which I send one message to each week.  One
list is about 12,000 users and the other is about 9,000 users.  I have
noticed that a majority of the e-mail addresses are from yahoo.com so I
get a lot of the deferral messages and it takes a little while to get
them all sent out.  Here is what I have done so far.

I am running Mailman version 2.1.12.  I have full personalization turned
on to help with bounces.  I have all of the verp options turned on:

VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes

VERP_PROBES = Yes

VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

Everything on the mailman side is working pretty well.

I am running Postfix 2.6.3.  I have the following configuration settings
in my main.cf file:

slow_destination_recipient_limit = 5

slow_destination_concurrency_limit = 2

slow_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 4

In my transport file I have:

yahoo.com               slow:

And in my master.cf file I have:

slow      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp

Is there anything else I can do to help limit the deferrals?  I sent an
e-mail to both lists yesterday and it took about 16 hours to get all of
the yahoo.com e-mails out.  I guess that is not terrible, but I would
really prefer it to be better.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me.