[Mailman-Users] Feature request: Emergency Broadcast

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Nov 23 17:28:19 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 09:42 -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> However, the laundry list of "useful features" that could be added to
> Mailman is several miles long and almost as wide, and I'm not
> qualified to judge where on that laundry list this particular feature
> would/should fall -- I'll leave that to the Mailman developers, like
> Barry and Mark.

This is just a thought, since I'm not familiar with the technical
details of implementing it, but it seems to be a trend.

An ever-increasing number of software packages support the installation
of 3rd party extensions, said extensions supporting the activities of
installation, deactivation and removal, leaving the core system
unaltered.  This provides end users (mail admins in the case of Mailman)
with the option of installing as few or as many "extra" features as they
need or want, and offloads the task of providing everything that
everyone wants from the core developers onto a wider community of
peripheral developers who know how to work with the core package's
extension API.  Mailman has a hint of this capability already, in the
withlist utility which I've used with great success to develop a program
to expunge lists of clueless AOL users who complain to AOL that opt-in
list posts they receive from a Mailman-served list are spam.

I have no idea how this might be implemented, but I've worked with
Python a bunch and I'm seriously impressed with its power and
flexibility.  There's nothing that can't be done with Python except mend
a broken heart and fix breakfast.

<goes off to fix breakfast ....>

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Never expect the people who caused a problem
FMP Computer Services |  to solve it."  - Albert Einstein