[Mailman-Users] Feature request: Emergency Broadcast

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 22 16:36:29 CET 2009

Bill Catambay wrote:

>Given my current situation (as rare as this situation may be), I have
>come to realize that an emergency broadcast feature would be an
>indispensable tool to have right now.  Since my host made the alias
>change on my mailing list, but did not create the MX record for the
>new email, it is currently impossible to post to our mailing list via
>email.  I can't even tell people why the list isn't working.

I think you misunderstood my prior post. The issue has nothing directly
to do with MX records. The problem (I think) is the MX records for the
domain (DNS records are for domains, not email addresses) point to
servers that apparently have not been configured to relay the
foo-list-mod local address to the Mailman server. This is a MTA
configuration issue on the MX MTAs, not a DNS issue.

>With an emergency broadcast feature on the website (a way to send a
>message to the list using the Mailman mailing list admin page), I
>could at least get word to everyone that the mailing list will be
>down until Monday.

This could be done with bin/inject on the Mailman server to inject a
message directly into Mailman's in/ queue bypassing the MTA, but you
don't have the required access. Since you don't have the required
access, I do see the need in your case, but this won't happen before
MM3 if then.

You could do as Adam McGreggor suggests and just send one or more BCC
type emails to the subscribers. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9>.