[Mailman-Users] Revisit to moderator aliases

andale at excaliburworld.com andale at excaliburworld.com
Sat Nov 21 05:51:38 CET 2009

At 11:42 PM -0500 on 11/20/09, Terri Oda wrote:

>Bill Catambay wrote:
>>Here's a couple of questions while I sit idly by as posts to the
>>mailing list build up in my inbox:
>>
>>1. Anyone know the missing ingredient (in tech terms) that might
>>clue in the "night watchman" on what needs to be done to make
>>foo-list-mod work?
>
>This might not be helpful, depending on the mail server, but has
>someone run "newaliases" to make sure those aliases in the file have
>actually been made active?
>
>(This isn't a necessary step for all mail servers, but it seems
>likely given your bounce message.  Goodness knows I forgot to do it
>a few times back when I was using sendmail on my list server.)

The night tech guy confirmed that they are active (although I don't
know how he confirmed it).  Given that there were two alias changes,
and since I *know* that the first alias did take effect (i.e., the
foo-list email now comes to me instead of posting to the list), I'd
assume that the 2nd alias took effect.  Also, they're both in a file
(along with other mailing list related aliases), and I believe they
processed that file of aliases (rather than doing each alias
manually).

At this point, I wish the aliases did not take effect, because then
I'd at least still be able to get posts to the mailing list.

Bill