[Mailman-Users] How to monitor mailman transaction

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 16 17:35:20 CET 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Hien HUYNH HUU writes:
> > Hi Mark,
> >    I wonder why the smtp log just show 1 recips why I wish It show numbers :
>
>Because each SMTP connection is only sending to one recipient, that's
>why.  If you are using VERP or personalized messages, the messages
>really are different as far as the MTA is concerned, and thus each one
>must be sent separately.

But even though SMTPDirect.py sends a separate message in a separate
SMTP transaction for each recipient, it still only writes one summary
log message for the entire batch.

>For personalized messages, this is true at the Mailman stage, and
>you'll have to choose: multiple recipients per transaction, or
>personalization.  You can't have both.
>
>For VERP, it may be possible to configure Mailman *without* VERP, and
>have the MTA do VERP itself.  However, I don't know if you'll be able
>to take advantage of Mailman's VERP features (such as for bounce
>processing) in that case.  You may need to have a separate system take
>care of those features at the MTA level.

The regexp used to extract the recipient local-part and domain from the
VERPed bounce recipient is set in Defaults.py as VERP_REGEXP and can
be overridden in mm_cfg.py if necessary to accommodate the MTA's VERP
format. So it should be possible to integrate MTA VERP with Mailman's
bounce processing with any MTA that supports VERP.