[Mailman-Users] How to monitor mailman transaction

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 16 16:25:21 CET 2009

Hien HUYNH HUU wrote:

>   I wonder why the smtp log just show 1 recips why I wish It show numbers :
>
>Nov 16 08:24:34 2009 (2874) <mailman.305.1258334667.21888.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.241 seconds
>Nov 16 08:24:35 2009 (21892) <mailman.309.1258334667.21888.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.281 seconds
>Nov 16 08:24:35 2009 (21892) <mailman.292.1258334666.21888.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.271 seconds
>Nov 16 08:24:35 2009 (21892) <mailman.295.1258334666.21888.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.213 seconds
>Nov 16 08:24:36 2009 (21892) <mailman.307.1258334667.21888.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.285 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:00 2009 (2874) <mailman.87.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.256 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:00 2009 (21892) <mailman.89.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.306 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:00 2009 (2874) <mailman.90.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.332 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:00 2009 (21892) <mailman.91.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.381 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:01 2009 (2874) <mailman.92.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.407 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:01 2009 (21892) <mailman.93.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.425 seconds
>Nov 16 08:25:01 2009 (2874) <mailman.94.1258334698.2870.listname at maillist.com> smtp to listname for 1 recips, completed in 0.320 seconds

If you have standard GNU Mailman, none of the above messages is a post.
Every one of them is some kind of Mailman generated notice (maybe from
BounceRunner, I'm guessing). You can tell because each has a Mailman
generated message id. It looks like you have two OutgoingRunner
processes with PIDs 2874 and 21892. Is this intentional? Some of those
messages were generated by PID 2870 and some by PID 21888. What are
these processes?

It also seems that you may have two sets of Mailman qrunners running
which were started at different times, thus not sliced. This is bad.
See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/_4A9>.

Stephen and Brad's replies notwithstanding, SMTPDirect.py, which is the
module that writes the above messages, writes only one such log
message for each processed queue entry, regardless of the number of
SMTP transactions used to deliver the message to the MTA.

Even if the message is personalized and/or VERPed so that SMTPDirect
deliveres one slightly different message to each recipient, it still
only writes one log message after completing the entire delivery to
all recipients.

What is in all your Mailman logs. Particularly, smtp-failure and bounce?

>  Up to now, I can't count how many emails mailman inject to qmail queue at the same time although I set these options in Mailman :

Mailman does not inject messages into qmail's queue. Mailman deliveres
messages by SMTP to qmail and qmail queues them. This may be a subtle
distinction, but if you're trying to measure things, it helps to
understand what you're measuring.

>SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500
>SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 0
>SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail'                   ## I wonder can I use qmail-inject ?

The above setting can be anything you want because Mailman doesn't use
it unless you set DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail', but DO NOT DO THAT -
you have been warned.

>QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(20)
>QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME = minutes(120)
>QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES = 50000

The above three settings are Mailman 2.0.x settings that have no
relevance in Mailman 2.1.x

>  How can we know the statistics of mailman for injecting these mails to qmail?

I don't know why you are not seeing the appropriate log message. If you
receive a post from the list, grep Mailman's log files for its
message-id and see what you find.

Look in Mailman's 'post' log for messages like

Nov 15 18:09:38 2009 (2392) post to LIST from user at example.com,
size=2263,
message-id=<2A01C490-CDA1-4BD4-A10C-1158731FDF5D at example.com>, success

and then look for the same message-id in the smtp log.