[Mailman-Users] Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 53

Dave Filchak submit at zuka.net
Sat May 30 04:25:56 CEST 2009

> <snip>
>>>

>> OK .. ran both tests as mailman. First one was fine. Second one, while
>> it shown no errors initially, I only received the email that was sent as
>> a rcpt (secondary email address). The To: email address did not get
>> delivered. The smtp-failure logs do not show a specific error for that
>> email transaction but it still shows a ton of the same errors, i.e.:
>>
>> May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
>> not known'), msgid: <mailman.1.1243617046.6486.someone at domain.net>
>> May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) delivery to someone at domain.org failed with
>> code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
>>
>> Both /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts are world readable. I am truly stumped.
>>

> That example won't deliver to any addresses in the message headers.
> Also, it won't log any errors. Error will be written to Python's
> stderr (normally the terminal). It sends to the addresses in the rcpts
> list as those are the only addresses communicated via SMTP. I.e., the
> envelope is sent to the rcpts regardless of what the message inside
> the envelope says.
>
> OK. I'm stumped too. Check the definitions of SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT in
> Defaults.py and possible overrides in mm_cfg.py to make sure they are
> 'localhost' and 0 respectively.

OK .. well maybe something here. In Defaults.py SMTPHOST is set to
'localhost' In mm_cfg.py, it is set to the actual public IP of the server.
> Also, another thing that occurred to me at one point which I don't
> think makes any difference and which looked OK in your prior post of
> 'ps' output, but make sure that a sendmail process didn't start on
> it's own after the power failure.
>
> chkconfig --list sendmail
>
> or however you set these things on your system should show sendmail is
> off at all run levels. sendmail should only be run by MailScanner.

sendmail is turned off at all levels.
> If your python is 2.4.x or later, you can use the technique described
> in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> to obtain debugging info
> from Python's smtplib. The extra information will be written to
> Mailman's error log.

No such luck. This is an older system running the latest available for
this system (2.3.4)

I am going to change mm_cfg.py to match Defaults.py or I guess I could
just comment it out?

Dave

believed to be clean.