[Mailman-Users] Errors on mailman startup

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 29 03:12:31 CEST 2009

Dave Filchak wrote:

>I have found the following in the smtp-failure logs:
>
>failed with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
>
>I have tons of these. I Googled this and one of the issues appears to be
>not having search my.domain in my resolv.conf file. I have added this
>but I still cannot get mailman to deliver any mail. Would really
>appreciate it if anyone has any other ideas about this.

So the problem is that Outgoing Runner can't send mail, so all the
outgong mail gets put in the retry queue and gets periodically
retried, but continues to fail.

There are two FAQs with information about this.
<http://wiki.list.org/x/AoE9> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9>. Thes,
together with some archived posts they link to give some information
and debugging techniques. The resolv.conf addition worked in one case,
but it is not the only thing that can cause this nor the only solution.