[Mailman-Users] Question about the "Group mismatch error" when updating mailman service

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed May 27 06:31:27 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Sean wrote:

> Currently, I had updated my mailman server to a new machine.
> (mailman-2.1.5_2 -> mailman-2.1.9_5)
> My server is FreeBSD 7.0, Postfix + mailman 2.1.9_5

> Now I create a new list by bin/newlist, but it got a error when I
> send mail
> to this new list which is
> " "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post eos". Command output: Group
> mismatch
>   error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
> group
>   "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> group
>   "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>   "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>   `--with-mail-gid=mailman'."
>
> So I reinstall mailman server with --with-mail-gid=mailman setting.
> Then the new list can work correctly.

Since you appear to be building mailman from ports/mail/mailman, do a

  cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
  make config

And then set the MTA option to POSTFIX,

Then just

   make install

or use portupgrade or your favorite ports management tool.

Setting the POSTFIX option for building the port will build mailman
correctly to run with the correct owner and group settings needed for
postfix FreeBSD.

> But the other question happened. "Group mismatch error" happeded on
> the old
> lists which is
> " "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post xip". Command output: Group
> mismatch
>   error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
> group
>   "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script
> as group
>   "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>   "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>   `--with-mail-gid=nobody' "

After you have reinstalled mailman with all the proper group and
ownerships (the port Makefile really does do it correctly), then in

  cd /usr/local/mailman/bin
  ./check_perms
  ./check_perms -f

Cheers,