[Mailman-Users] Question about the "Group mismatch error" whenupdating mailman service

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 26 18:30:43 CEST 2009

Sean wrote:

>I have a strange question for creating a new list after updating mailman
>server.
>
>Currently, I had updated my mailman server to a new machine.
>(mailman-2.1.5_2 -> mailman-2.1.9_5)
>My server is FreeBSD 7.0, Postfix + mailman 2.1.9_5
>
>And I translate the lists and archives on old machine to new machine.
>I called these lists "old lists". The old lists can work correctly on the
>new machine.
>
>Now I create a new list by bin/newlist, but it got a error when I send mail
>to this new list which is
>" "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post eos". Command output: Group mismatch
>   error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group
>   "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group
>   "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>   "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>   `--with-mail-gid=mailman'."
>
>So I reinstall mailman server with --with-mail-gid=mailman setting.
>Then the new list can work correctly.
>
>But the other question happened. "Group mismatch error" happeded on the old
>lists which is
>" "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post xip". Command output: Group mismatch
>   error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group
>   "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group
>   "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>   "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>   `--with-mail-gid=nobody' "
>
>Now I'm confused at this situation because I didn't change the system's mail
>server. But it shows that the system's mail server executed the mail script
>as group "mailman" and "nobody" after I reinstalled. Why?
>How can I solve this question? Can anyone give me any idea?

You are using Postfix and all your Mailman aliases are not in the same
file. Postfix runs the pipe for an alias as the user (and that user's
primary group) that owns the aliases.db file in which it finds the
alias.

Your old list aliases are in a .db file that's owned by 'nobody' (or
probably root) and your new list alaises are in a .db file that's
owned by 'mailman'.

If you have Mailman/Postfix integration, remove all the old aliases
from whatever file they're in and run Mailman's bin/genaliases to
generate all the aliases for all lists in the new file.