[Mailman-Users] Deleting messages from archive....

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat May 16 16:49:07 CEST 2009

On May 16, 2009, at 3:42 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Removing mailman-developers because I'm not talking about
> implementation.
>
> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>> I've long thought that all archives should be vended dynamically
>> rather than statically,  of course with a cache to improve
>> performance
>> as necessary.
>
> I think it's a great option.  But first Mailman would have to support
> archives, which it doesn't, really.  pipermail is fine for small
> projects and some larger projects that are willing to put up with its
> limitations, but it's pretty creaky.  Anything else (eg MHonArc) is
> "you do it yourself, see the tracker".
>
> IMO, trying to support archiving is mission creep the project should
> avoid, except for providing hooks to make it easier to use 3rd party
> archivers.

Mailman 3 makes it very easy to add archivers.  I already have
implementations of hooks for Pipermail, MHonArc, and mail-
archives.com.  They're not mutually exclusive btw.

> N.B.  That doesn't mean Barry and Mark shouldn't contribute to
> archivers, if they want to.

I've long thought that Pipermail should be split off from Mailman as a
project, perhaps still bundled in whatever sumo distribution we
provide.  It would be very cool if a group of people worked together
to make Pipermail not suck.

-Barry