[Mailman-Users] Deleting messages from archive....

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 16 09:42:55 CEST 2009

Removing mailman-developers because I'm not talking about implementation.

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I've long thought that all archives should be vended dynamically
 > rather than statically,  of course with a cache to improve performance
 > as necessary.

I think it's a great option.  But first Mailman would have to support
archives, which it doesn't, really.  pipermail is fine for small
projects and some larger projects that are willing to put up with its
limitations, but it's pretty creaky.  Anything else (eg MHonArc) is
"you do it yourself, see the tracker".

IMO, trying to support archiving is mission creep the project should
avoid, except for providing hooks to make it easier to use 3rd party
archivers.

N.B.  That doesn't mean Barry and Mark shouldn't contribute to
archivers, if they want to.