[Mailman-Users] strange problem, list prefix suddenly stopped being inserted

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 28 02:11:40 CET 2009

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>I have a number of lists running and they worked fine with the subject prefix for each list.
>
>Suddenly all the distributed messages are no longer showing the subject prefix and I don't understand what could be causing this.
>
>I'm not sure how to debug it, I don't see any evident errors and the only issue I see is related to the subject.

Something changed. Did you upgrade Python? Did you upgrade Mailman? Did
the subject_prefix change? Did the list's preferred_language change?

If the supject prefixing process encounters a ValueError or
UnicodeError becayse the subject is not properly RFC2047 encoded or
the subject_prefix contains characters outside the character set of
the list's preferred language, prefixing will silently fail.

If you still can't figure it out, post the following information

The list's preferred_language.
The exact contents of the list's subject_prefix.
The full, raw headers of a message from the list.

and we will try to help.