[Mailman-Users] Archives and International Character Sets (Mailman 2.1.11)

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Fri Mar 27 20:37:14 CET 2009

Guys --

I have a problem with the monthly archives from Mailman 2.1.11 (using
Pipermail 0.09 [default]) and wonder if there is any help available.
I've read several FAQs, but no luck in understanding the problem yet.

The list is a announce-only type in Russian (Cyrillic), but the
default language is set to English (so I can read the admin pages and
complete the necessary tasks).  As I believe Mark mentioned before,
this means that the messages themselves (sent by the Russian
Moderator team using Outlook Express or webmail and either
windows-1251 or KOI8-R encondings) arrive at Mailman and are
distributed in email as with their original encodings.  However, the
mailman archive in this configuration seems to save the messages as
HTML entity codes which display fine in the Mailman archive as single
messages, but are unreadable once they get to the monthly archive

1) What can be done to get the monthly archive in a readable format?
2) Is there any way to correct the existing monthly archives?

Thanks in Advance (and have a good weekend),
Drew Tenenholz