[Mailman-Users] Changing the "<listname>-bounces" address

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 22 07:48:44 CET 2009

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > For Mailman 2.2, I am considering changing the Sender: header from the
 > LIST-bounces address to the LIST posting address.

IMO the list-post address is semantically inappropriate.  The sender
header is the mailbox of the agent that injected the message and
presumably would want to know about problems.  That's not the list
membership.

I think a better idea is to use a less geeky name like LIST-admin for
the bounce recipient.  That's already taken, you might say, but in
fact I think it works.  This has several advantages IMO:

1.  If the recipient's MTA uses a standard bounce format, it will work
    as it does today, with automatic delivery disabling, etc.
2.  Other bounces will go to a responsible party who can deal with
    them.  This could be combined with the usual moderator flow, with
    an additional button "reply with list-help" along with the current
    defer/accept/reject/discard.  (Yes, I know that for some lists
    this could be a burden.)
3.  On broken MUAs it reads correctly: "From LIST-admin at example.com on
    behalf of author at net.invalid".
4.  Recipients whose MUAs CC the sender can be automatically disabled,
    too!  (Maybe that's not a great idea for corporate MLs where
    people are using Blackberrys and other such common offenders, but
    I often wish I could!)