[Mailman-Users] Changing the "<listname>-bounces" address

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Mar 22 00:56:29 CET 2009

on 3/21/09 5:00 PM, Mark Sapiro said:

> For Mailman 2.2, I am considering changing the Sender: header from the
> LIST-bounces address to the LIST posting address. As discussed in the
> FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>, I think this is in the spirit of
> RFC2822/RFC5322.

If you do create an option to let list admins control this setting, I
would recommend making it default to not available unless explicitly
allowed by the site admin, and then default to off unless explicitly
changed by the list admin.

Then I think you want to create some additional loop-control mechanisms
to help defend the list against dain-bramaged mail systems.  You should
also test "reply-to-all" functionality with that kind of setting.  You
could definitely get at least duplicates that way.

I don't have any direct experience with doing this sort of thing in
Mailman, because the option has never been available (short of modifying
the code), and I didn't feel it was necessary.

But this concept really does make me cringe.  I'd want to see it heavily
tested before released.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out