[Mailman-Users] Hosted mail vs Mailman

michael at wa7skg.com michael at wa7skg.com
Thu Mar 19 17:08:24 CET 2009

Please forgive my very basic noob question.  I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.

I have an email address with an email provider on a completely separate host and system.

I want to use Mailman with this address.  Does Mailman, in essence, act as a email client, receiving an email just like any other client (Thunderbird, Mutt, etc.) would, act appropriately on it and send out the response to a generated list?

Therefore, I could have Mailman run on a separate web host or whatever, and it would use the email address just fine?

With my email service, I can create email boxes and that is about it.  I can't do anything else on the server side.

With my webhosting service, I can do pretty much anything web accessed, but I cannot run an email server.

Thanks for your patience with the new guy.

Michael