[Mailman-Users] Mailman Config problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 13 00:57:39 CET 2009

>First off I want to say thanks for all your help. Mark has the right idea,
>we have the mailman installation up and running and accessible from the web
>server.  We also have email going from mailman through the email server
>succesfully.  The problem arises when email (posts, etc) comes back, which
>we want to go through the email server to reduce load on the web server, but
>needs to go to mailman's lists, which are only known to the web server since
>that's where the mailman installation exists. Would the fetchmail or using a
>relay help us in this case, because what is happening is that mail is coming
>into the mail server and bouncing back because postfix is trying to send the
>email to the mailman processing program, which does not exist on the email
>server?  We could setup an MTA on the web server, but we were hoping to
>avoid that in order to have a complete separation of the two servers.  The
>web server only has a simple sendmail install for sending outgoing mail for
>things like cron jobs.

There are various ways to do this. If I were doing it, I would
configure the sendmail on the mailman box to listen on some port other
than 25, say xxxx.

Then you need to put the Mailman aliases in /etc/aliases on the Mailman
box. Let's call this mm.example.com.

On the main mail server that receives mail for say LIST at example.com, I
think all you need to do is put entries like

LIST at example.com  smtp:[mm.example.com]:xxxx
LIST-bounces at example.com  smtp:[mm.example.com]:xxxx
etc.

for each list in postfix's transport table (/etc/postfix/transport) and
run postmap to update it, but I've never actually done this, so I'm
not certain. You may also need a

transport_maps =

in main.cf pointing to the table.