[Mailman-Users] New crontab query: senddigests

Savoy, Jim savoy at uleth.ca
Wed Mar 4 18:59:01 CET 2009

>>Jim Savoy wrote:

>>I did check out a couple of the lists that had outstanding
>>digest.mboxes and found that they didn't have any subscribers with the

>>digest option checked.

>Mark Sapiro wrote:

>But, assuming this is a more or less standard Mailman (2.1.5), even if
>no one is subscribed to the digest, when cron/senddigests runs, the
>digests should still be prepared and the digest.mbox unlinked, even if
>there are ultimately no recipients. The only thing that affects this is

>if the list's digestable setting is No, and all this does is keep from
>creating the digest.mbox in the first place.

All of our lists are digestable (that's the default). I did run one of
your
scripts once-upon-a-time to see how many digest members we had, and
there
were a few dozen.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the state that the only time a digest goes
out
is when it exceeds 30K in size.

>Did you run it from cron or by hand. If by hand, did you run it as
'mailman' and did it produce any output? If from cron, and it produced
any
output, the output was probably mailed to 'mailman' which is probably
the
'mailman' list, and where does it go from there?

Ran it by cron. I don't see any activity at all when it runs (when I ran
the checkdbs program, python lead the way when I did a "top", but
nothing
seems to happen when I run senddigests).

There was also no output sent to the mailman mailing list (I am the
owner
and only subscriber on that list, and it accepts mail from anyone).

Nothing in the Mailman logs either.

>Note: it is a good idea to put a MAILTO= at the beginning of Mailman's
crontab to direct any mailed output to a good place. There is normally
only mailed output if something goes wrong.

Can you give me the exact syntax of that Mark? I am not sure what you
mean
or how I would do that. I did a man on "cron" but don't see anything
there
about MAILTO. Thanks.

 - jim -