[Mailman-Users] New crontab query: senddigests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 4 02:07:36 CET 2009

Savoy, Jim wrote:

>>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>In looking over my recursive listing closely, I see that there are 501
>total digest.mboxes out there (!). All of them are 30K or under.
>

>>>That still doesn't explain why they are all still there and nothing
>was
>>>delivered when I ran the cron job at 12:48 today...
>
>>Are you sure digest_send_periodic is set to Yes for those lists that
>have
>>old digest.mbox files?
>
>Absolutely. That is the default we set up and I just checked a bunch of
>lists to verify it.
>
>I did check out a couple of the lists that had outstanding digest.mboxes
>and found that they didn't have any subscribers with the digest option
>checked
>(as I said, very few of our users know about and use this feature) so
>perhaps
>nothing was delivered today because there was just nothing to be
>delivered.

But, assuming this is a more or less standard Mailman (2.1.5), even if
no one is subscribed to the digest, when cron/senddigests runs, the
digests should still be prepared and the digest.mbox unlinked, even if
there are ultimately no recipients. The only thing that affects this
is if the list's digestable setting is No, and all this does is keep
from creating the digest.mbox in the first place.

Are there any Mailman error log entries from when senddigests ran? Did
you run it from cron or by hand. If by hand, did you run it as
'mailman' and did it produce any output? If from cron, and it produced
any output, the output was probably mailed to 'mailman' which is
probably the 'mailman' list, and where does it go from there?

Note: it is a good idea to put a MAILTO= at the beginning of Mailman's
crontab to direct any mailed output to a good place. There is normally
only mailed output if something goes wrong.

>I take it a digest.mobx is created regardless of whether or not a list
>has
>any members using that option. So perhaps everything is fine and
>starting this
>daily senddigests cron job will be a seamless transition.

Correct, but even if there are no digest members, the digest.mbox will
be unlinked when cron/senddigests successfully runs.