[Mailman-Users] password sends

Michael Welch mwelch at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Mar 2 18:20:01 CET 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote at 05:49 PM 2/28/2009:

>>What is supposed to happen when a non-listmember tries to get a password reminder from the member options page?
>>
>>I tried it myself after trying to figure out if a member was using the wrong email address, and the web page said, "A reminder of your password has been emailed to you."
>
>The issue is your list's membership is not public, so we can't reveal
>that the person requesting the reminder is not a member or this could
>be used to fish for list membership. Granted the message should be
>better (i.e. more ambiguous about whether the reminder is actually
>sent), but the bottom line is if the address is a non-member, no
>reminder is sent.

Thanks, Mark. I hope the message can change in some future version.

>>I also discovered that one of my four lists doesn't even send out the passwords to subscribed members after saying the reminders were sent. I tried this on my own subscribed name and it failed. If folks can tell me what might be wrong here as well, I will pass it on to DreamHost tech support which has been quite responsive in the past.
>

>Reminders are supposed to work for subscribed members. I don't know why
>they wouldn't. As a debug technique, you could temporarily set

I hit up DreamHost support on this, and they said they changed a setting, and that if it still did not work I would need to give them temporary Admin access to the list so they could check on things. I tried a reminder, and they still were not working.

I went to the Admin pages and reviewed carefully all the settings (again), and discovered that umbrella_list was set to Yes. I set it to No, and the reminders began working. I suppose that setting could have been at Yes all along, but I didn't think so.

Michael Welch, volunteer
Redwood Alliance
PO Box 293
Arcata, CA 95518