[Mailman-Users] password sends

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 1 02:49:43 CET 2009

Michael Welch wrote:

>What is supposed to happen when a non-listmember tries to get a password reminder from the member options page?
>
>I tried it myself after trying to figure out if a member was using the wrong email address, and the web page said, "A reminder of your password has been emailed to you."
>
>But nothing ever arrived. I tried this with two different non-subscribed addresses that do not have spam filters on them. I do not have access to logs to answer more questions, this is a DreamHost implementation.

The issue is your list's membership is not public, so we can't reveal
that the person requesting the reminder is not a member or this could
be used to fish for list membership. Granted the message should be
better (i.e. more ambiguous about whether the reminder is actually
sent), but the bottom line is if the address is a non-member, no
reminder is sent.

>I also discovered that one of my four lists doesn't even send out the passwords to subscribed members after saying the reminders were sent. I tried this on my own subscribed name and it failed. If folks can tell me what might be wrong here as well, I will pass it on to DreamHost tech support which has been quite responsive in the past.

Reminders are supposed to work for subscribed members. I don't know why
they wouldn't. As a debug technique, you could temporarily set

Who can view subscription list?
(Details for private_roster)

on the Privacy options... -> Subscription rules page to Anyone and
request a reminder. Then you should get either "A reminder of your
password has been emailed to you." or "No such member: <address>". You
will get the latter if for some reason Mailman thinks <address> is not
a list member. If you get the former, A reminder should be sent, and I
have no idea why it wouldn't be.