[Mailman-Users] requesting copies of previous messages on a mailmanlist

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 12 21:08:33 CEST 2009

Spencer, Ross wrote:

>** Protective Marking : NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED  **
>
>I am an administrator of a mailman mailing list. I am struggling to find
>any documentation on how to request a copy of a previously posted
>message using mailman.
>

>i.e. for new users to reply to existing threads.

Does your list have archives?

If so, and if the ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS  setting has it's
default value of Yes, the poster's address in the archived message is
a mailto: link to the list with appropriate Subject= and In-Reply-To=
query fragments for replying.

There is an issue in that in Mailman versions prior to 2.1.10, there
was a bug in that the In-Reply-To was the Message-ID of the prior post
in thread if any rather than the current post.