[Mailman-Users] Non-subscribers defeating the generic non-member action

Robert Boyd Skipper robert at skipperweb.org
Mon Jul 6 18:26:24 CEST 2009

Mark:

Thank you for this info.  I'll see if I have access to
archives/private/LIST.mbox/List.mbox.

To answer your question, I made a mistake in the regex (it's been years
since messing with those little darlings). I actually blocked the
spoofed email by putting "test at mydomain.org" in the "discard these
non-members" list.  Since I have also been getting emails from
"test at otherdomain.com" I thought I would just discard everything with a
username the same as my (pretty unique) listname.  But I see now that I
got that regex wrong.

I don't understand how non-alphanumeric characters made a difference,
either, but they did.  Emails containing  such characters were not in
general a problem, but if they started with a '_' or a '-' or something
of the sort, mailman would simply let them through. When I put the
following regexes into the spam filter rule 1, the problem stopped:
from: _.*@.*
from: -.*@.*
and then, later, just in case, I added
from: \W.*@.*