[Mailman-Users] Accessing archives [was: Non-subscribers defeating ...]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jul 8 02:57:33 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > > Urk!  That doesn't sound like a good thing to me, however convenient
 > > it may be in situations like this.
 >
 > You do have to log in as you would for any private archive access.

 > There is little in the LIST.mbox file which is not also in the HTML
 > archive itself or the periodic *.txt and/or *.txt.gz files - mostly
 > only additional headers.

Doesn't it have the raw headers, though?  If you have anonymized
archives, wouldn't this allow people with the password access to real
addresses?

I can imagine situations (such as victims of domestic or sexual
violence) where "double blind" (list admins themselves as well as
participants have no access to such information) would be desirable.
Of course you still have the site admin, but site admins are always a
weak point, as the various cases involving anonymizers have shown.