[Mailman-Users] Accessing archives [was: Non-subscribers defeating ...]

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 7 16:37:09 CEST 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>
>  > If you don't have direct access to the file on host, you can get it via
>  > the web with a URL like
>  > <http://www.example.com/Mailman/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox>. This
> works
>  > whether the archive is private or public.
>
> Urk!  That doesn't sound like a good thing to me, however convenient
> it may be in situations like this.

You do have to log in as you would for any private archive access. There
is little in the LIST.mbox file which is not also in the HTML archive
itself or the periodic *.txt and/or *.txt.gz files - mostly only
additional headers.

The site has an option to expose this URL or an equivalent public one in
the case of a public archive. In my view, the main reason for not doing so
is the bandwidth impact for large archives.

I could well be overlooking something, but I don't see this as a security
problem.