[Mailman-Users] non-subscriber managed to post to a subscriber only list

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Mon Jan 26 21:40:36 CET 2009

Had something strange occur early Saturday morning.  A non-subscriber
managed to successfully post to two member only lists (and, of course,
it was spam).

The bogus sender (thelevisstoreonline at levis.rsys1.com) is not a member
of these member only lists and is not in the accept_these_nonmembers
filter.  Other non-member posts are being caught and sent to moderation.
  Is there something else that I should be looking at?

I checked the logs and the sender sent to 5 of our hosted lists.  They
were caught (per the vette log) by 3 of those lists as a non-member, but
posted successfully to the other 2 lists (per smtp and post logs).

I've checked the docs and faqs and haven't found a reference for
something like this.  I've checked all the logs and the configs (via the
web interface) on the two lists that posted allowed the post.  I can't
find any reason for it and have to wonder if I'm checking everything.
I've looked thru everything that makes sense and much that doesn't.  If
I had hair I'd be pulling it out!
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign