[Mailman-Users] moving discarded emails to an archive somewhere

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Wed Jan 21 18:01:09 CET 2009

On 01/20/09 23:13, Luke Daly wrote:
> Hi Guys is there a way to move discarded emails to another list? I
> have been asked if we can retain the email's that are discarded due
> to not having perms to send to the list be moved to another list for
> archiving purposes.

Uh...

I don't know of any mechanism in Mailman, or SMTP for that matter, that
will provide what you are wanting.  The closest that I can think of is
using something like a Procmail recipe that will attempt to deliver a
message in to Mailman and then attempt to deliver the message to your
""archive if it fails to deliver the message to Mailman.

I can't think of any thing else that will attempt to deliver to one
location and then fall back to another if the first fails.  Well, having
multiple MX records will do this, but the problem is the first will
accept the message and then fail, rather than failing the SMTP delivery
period.  I suppose someone could wright an SMTP interface in to Mailman,
but that is way more trouble than Procmail.

Grant. . . .