[Mailman-Users] How to manually get a list of passwords for all members to be sent to the administration

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 20 04:04:03 CET 2009

Grant Taylor writes:

 > Ok...  It is my (mis)understanding that this is one of the nice things
 > about Object Oriented programming languages like Python in such as it is
 > possible to have a new class inherit a parent's class and then extend
 > it.  I would think that this type of things would lend its self to this,

It does.  However, it has to be designed in, and Mailman was
originally designed in a much more friendly Internet for use by
communities of friendly users.

Once the code has been written, however, changing the design becomes
what is called "refactoring", which requires orders of magnitude more
effort because you not only have to decide what is desirable, but you
must also make sure that everything that used to work continue to
work, even if it wasn't part of the original design, because somebody
found out how to make it do something useful. :-)

This effort is sufficiently large that when it is done there is
invariably a major version bump.  Ie, this is what Mailman 3 is all
about.  In fact, changes have been made to Mailman 3 to make exactly
this kind of thing easier to add in a way that is consistent from the
user's (ie, the list admin in this case) perspective.

I suggest you ask on Mailman Developers if your use case has been
taken into account.  I don't think the user database integration has
proceeded very far, so now is a good time to make feature requests.
(I don't speak for Barry, of course.)