[Mailman-Users] Gathering additional iniformation at signup

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Jan 19 22:18:49 CET 2009

> From: Hank van Cleef
>
> The esteemed Mark Sapiro has said:
>>
>> Walter wrote:
>>
>>> I have just started using Mailman and wish to add fields (user
>>> title, organization) that must be filled out upon subscription...
>>
>> In other words, this is not a simple change.
>
> ...  I've
> given some thought to redoing things so that a custom page can link
> out to a non-Mailman process, then return the mail address and real
> name to Mailman as an approved subscription for Mailman processing...

This is not terribly difficult to do, if you have some basic HTML
programming experience.

One could (for example) build a POST form to gather all the
information, then in the POST target file, scrape off all the extra
info, stuff it in a database, then POST the name and email address to
the appropriate Mailman page.

I posted how to do the latter some time ago:

	<form action="http://your.domainname.here/mailman/subscribe/listname"
method="post">
	<input type="text" name="fullname">
	<input type="text" name="email">
	</form>

So just add your additional fields, then change the "action" URL to a
PHP (or your web language of choice) page that gathers your info and
gets it to you in your desired form, then POSTS the "fullname" and
"email" fields to Mailman. And Bob's your uncle!

If you don't have the skills, I would be willing to contract the
solution for you. Depending on how picky you are and how much
customization you want, it could be thirty minutes or thirty days of
work... :-)

:::: Giving society cheap, abundant energy at this point would be the
equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun. -- Paul Ehrlich ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::