[Mailman-Users] variables in msg_footer

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 15 17:42:29 CET 2009

Kærast wrote:

>I'm having problems with the footers on our mailman server, the
>variables such as %(real_name)s are being entered as-is and not
>rewritten to what they should be.
>
>I have DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER set at the very bottom
>of /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
>DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER = """
>###
>To unsubscribe:
>        2) reply to the confirmation email
>###
>"""
>
>New lists are created with the % variables intact and not the content
>of them.

This is correct. The replacement is done when the footer is added to
the message, not when the list is created.

>For good measure I tried setting the msg_footer for all lists
>by using
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055486.html
>
>All lists have the same footer:
>
>###
>To unsubscribe:
>        2) reply to the confirmation email
>###
>
>Am I doing something obviously silly?  Where should I be looking in
>order to debug this?

Are you saying that %(real_name)s and %(host_name)s are not being
replaced in the footer added to outgoing mail or just that they are
not being replaced in the msg_footer you see in the web interface.

They are not supposed to be replaced in the web interface, only in the
outgoing mail.