[Mailman-Users] FAQ: How To Rename a Mailman List

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 5 18:58:46 CET 2009

Barry Finkel wrote:

>I need to rename two Mailman 2.1.9 lists.  The FAQ 4.70 gives
>explicit instructions, but it does not mention changing the
>
>     /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases  (location on my Unbutu system)
>
>file to reflect the new name and then running the newaliases command.
>Should this be added to the FAQ?

The FAQ currently says:

  Finally, if your MTA uses aliases for mailman lists rather than
  some process that automatically understands list names from the
  contents of the lists/ directory, you will have to update your
  aliases. If you do this manually, edit your aliases to change
  'oldlist' to 'newlist' (a total of 2 changes per alias for 10
  aliases), and then run 'newaliases' or whatever command rebuilds
  your alias database. It you have Postfix/Mailman integration,
  just run bin/genaliases.

If you think this is somehow inadequate or not prominent enough, it's a
wiki. Feel free to edit it.