[Mailman-Users] {Disarmed} Re: Automatic bounce processing; listname-bouncesvs. listname-bounces+XXXX

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 4 02:11:46 CET 2009

John Wesley Simpson Hibbs wrote:

>On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 08:36 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Is it only password reminders that you are seeing as unrecognized
>> bounces?
>
>No...  I've appended one that was not a password reminder to the end of this post.

[...]
>I just now appended (per your advise) the following to mm_cfg.py:
>
>	VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
>	VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>	VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>
>I then did "service mailman restart" and sent a test message through.
>Still no +VERP in the list-bounces at .

I assume you also have

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

in mm_cfg.py. That's the important one.

>This is rather annoying, especially since I went to a lot of trouble
>getting qmail to deliver the list-bounces+VERP to mailman in the first
>place, and things were working for quite a while...

[...]

>>Date: 20 Dec 2008 22:11:56 -0000
>>From: MAILER-DAEMON at subscriber.example.net
>>To: list-bounces at example.net
>>Subject: failure notice
>>We're sorry. There's a problem with the e-mail address(es) you're
>trying
>>to send to. Please verify the address(es) and try again. If you
continue
>>to have problems, please contact Customer Support at (nnn) nnn-nnnn.
>>
>><somebody at subscriber.example.net>:
>>child status 100...The e-mail message could not be delivered because
>>the user's mailfolder is full.
>>
>>--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

>>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:11:34 -0500
>>From: "Poster" <poster at poster.example.net>
>>To: LIST <list at example.net>
>>Subject: [LIST] _________
>>Sender: list-bounces at example.net

When Mailman does the VERPing, not only the envelope sender (reflected
as Return-Path:), but also the Sender: and Errors-To: headers are
VERPd. Brad suggested in another reply that it is possibly some other,
external MTA that is "unVERPing" the envelope. It seems unlikely that
this is the case, both because it would also have to be "unVERPing"
the Sender: and Errors-To:, and because I suspect that the qmail
generated DSN above was generated by your own local qmail.

So it looks like for some reason, Mailman is not VERPing. Assuming you
do have

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

in mm_cfg.py, and it didn't somehow get lost, I don't know what would
make Mailman behave this way.