[Mailman-Users] Uncaught Bounce Notification

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Sun Feb 15 02:32:18 CET 2009

On 02/14/2009 07:04 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> That question hinges on whether or not the bounce should be
> considered a permanent or a temporary failure. The bounce itself says
> "This is a permanent error."

Agreed.  However I believe the permanent or temporary nature that the
bounce is speaking of is on the SMTP level, thus the sending server
should not try to send this given message again.  I think it is a flaw
to extend this SMTP meaning up to actual future (different) message
delivery.

> I disagree. I think it is likely to be an abandoned account, but in
> any case, with default bounce processing settings, The user's
> delivery won't be disabled until a bounce like this is received on 5
> separate days.

Possibly.  My experience with my customer shows that people are likely
to hit their quota over a weekend or a vacation.  When they come back
the following week (or when ever) and POP all their messages out of
their box, the /temporary/ error is corrected.  Granted my experience
may be limited to my customer scope and more than likely does not apply
to someone like GMail or HotMail or Yahoo.  I guess it depends on the
customer base.

> So probably when we disable the user's delivery after 5 days of
> bounces, the disabled notice we send to the user might be accepted,
> and with default settings, the user won't be unsubscribed until 3
> weeks and two more notices later.

Agreed... as long as there is not < 23 kB worth of email received in the
next 3 weeks.  However if the user does not clean out their mail box in
that time this leads credence to the likely hood that the account is
abandoned.

> Granted, this could be a user on an extended vacation (over a month),
> but in that case, ultimately unsubscribing the user is easy to
> reverse and is small penalty for the user's forgetting to disable
> list delivery.

True...

Grant. . . .

P.S.  I find it interesting that the bounce is eluding to the amount of
space remaining in the account.  This is (in my experience) extremely
unusual.