[Mailman-Users] Question on Digest E-mails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 3 18:27:16 CET 2009

Grant Taylor wrote:

>On 02/02/09 13:57, Gary Moore wrote:
>> My apologies if this has been on the list before.  I have a mailman
>> listserv that I have setup to digest.  The messages are forwarded
>> from our blog to a general resource account which sends them out to
>> the listserv.  When the digest is sent out (see attached), each of
>> the digested messages has a "message scrubbed".  How can I solve this
>> problem.  Thanks in advance.
>
>I'm just guessing here, but I'm betting that you are sending your digest
>out with the actual messages as MIME attachments rather than textual
>copy in a new message.  (Note:  I think this is a good thing, so keep it
>up.)

Yes, that appears to be the issue. The Blog is forwarding the message
to the list as a message/rfc822 part.

>However I'm betting that Mailman is seeing the individual messages as
>attachments and is scrubbing them because it does not know about the
>MIME type, or more likely it is not an allowed MIME type.

No. Scrubber is scrubbing the attachments (saving them aside, not
discarding them) because they are not text/plain. and scrubber is
trying to make a flat text/plain message for the 'plain' digest, so it
moves aside any non-text/plain parts.

>Go to Content Filtering -> pass_mime_types and make sure that
>multipart/digest, message/rfc822 and possibly text/rfc822-headers are
>included in the list.  message/rfc822 is the standard attachment like
>you would receive if I forwarded a message to you (as an attachment).
>
>(Please refer to section 5.1.5 of RFC 2046 for more information.)
>
>I don't know if this will solve your problem or not, but at least it's a
>direction to look in to.

I suspect that content filtering is off here. Content filtering is not
the issue. It is neither helping nor hindering in this case.

A possible solution is to set everyone to receive MIME digests rather
than plain. Depending on the user's MUA's, some will like this better
anyway.

Under Digest options set "When receiving digests, which format is
default?" to MIME and then go through the membership list and uncheck
'plain' for the current members.

The MIME format digest is not scrubbed.

>Please let us know if this solves the problem as if it does, I propose
>that multipart/digest and message/rfc822 get added to the default
>allowed MIME types.

As I said. it's not a content filtering issue. If message/rfc822 parts
were being filtered, they wouldn't be there to be scrubbed for the
digest.

message/rfc822 and multipart/digest are not among the defaults for
pass_mime_types. Arguably, message/rfc822 should be, but there are
people who don't want 'attached messages' on their lists.

I definitely don't think multipart/digest should be in the defaults
even though my own mm_cfg.py contains

DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES = ['multipart',
                           'message/rfc822',
                           'text/plain']

I really don't want people posting entire digests to my lists.