[Mailman-Users] Mailman url points to localhost after ProxyPass

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Feb 2 17:58:51 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 07:34:50AM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Jason Dixon wrote:
> >
> >So if I load http://www.dixongroup.net/mailman/admin/, it gives me
> >results for lists on 127.0.0.1 instead of the hostname.  But all of the
> >lists themselves work fine.  And list_lists reports everything correctly
> >as you'd expect.
> >
> >Has anyone overcome this?  Obviously, the desired effect would be that
> >Mailman uses HTTP_HOST.  I've messed around with UseCanonicalName on
> >both Apache instances but could not get the desired effect.  Any
> >suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9> for background on this.
>
> Mailman does use HTTP_HOST and falls back to SERVER_NAME if HTTP_HOST
> is not set in the environment. How are these set in the environment
> passed to the Mailman CGIs?
>
> You can show all lists regardless of host by setting
>
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

I worked around this issue by adding /etc/hosts into the Apache-1.3
chroot and adding the desired hostnames to 127.0.0.1.  I then pointed
the ProxyPass to the host instead of 127.0.0.1.  It works fine and I've
seen no regressions on the rest of the sites sharing the same domain.

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting