[Mailman-Users] Setting up redundant mailing lists in OS X SnowLeopard.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 30 15:47:27 CET 2009

JRC Groups wrote:

>While setting up Mailman mailing lists under Snow Leopard Server I've run
>into some questions and thought I would ask here for help. These are the
>questions:
>
>Q1. In Mailman how are mailing list subscribers set-up ? Are subscribers
>set-up separately or do they have to be set-up as users in Workgroup Manager
>?

List members are managed by Mailman as email addresses. They have
nothing to do with users on your server.

>I would prefer to set-up subscribers to the mailing lists separately as they
>are not members of my workgroup. Is there a configuration pane under Mailman
>mailing lists for setting up subscribers ?

If you ignore Apple's GUI and just use Mailman's web admin interface,
you can 'mass subscribe' members.

There are also command-line tools for adding members and syncing
membership with a flat file.

There are others on this list who know more about Apple's OS-X server
implementation of Mailman, but I'm not one of them.

>Q2. I am trying to set-up two versions of each mailing list so that one
>version allows attachments to be forwarded to subscribers along with the
>posts while the other version blocks the attachments and only forwards the
>text portion of the post. How can this be set-up in Mailman ? How can I
>manage attachment rules in Mailman and create this redundant mailing lists ?
>Where are attachments sent along with posts to the lists saved in OS X
>(folder address) ?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You can set up two lists with
two different names. Use Mailman's Content Filtering to specify what
will be accepted and what will be filtered out. If you mean you want
posts to be sent to one address and some people to receive attachments
and some not, you can use an umbrella list for this (search the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> for "umbrella")

>Where are attachments sent along with posts to the lists saved in OS X
>(folder address) ?

Attachments not removed by content filtering are saved in the list's
archives. in a default Mailman install, this would be in
sub-directories of
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/. I think in
OS-X server, this translates to
/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/ or
/private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/. See the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/QoA9>.