[Mailman-Users] Admin Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 30 15:15:44 CET 2009

Chris Leleux wrote:

>This is probably a stupid question, but I'm having trouble setting up a new
>ListServ for a  client.

If you are setting up a ListServ (sic)[1], you've come to the wrong
place. This list is for Mailman lists, not ListServ lists.

>I have created a new mail list - and added an admin and moderator.  I've
>created three members (using 3 email accounts of mine).  These three user
>accounts have received the message they been "subscribed".  The problem is
>when I send a message to the listserv - the one in the subscribe email,
>nothing happens.  It's not held and yet it doesn't go anywhere.  However
>when someone that's not a member sends a message to that same listserv -
>those get held in the pending file (waiting for the moderator to accept
>them.

What's im Mailman's vette log (if you have access)? What hapens to the
held posts if you accept them?

Probably Content Filtering is discarding the messages, but it is hard
to say without more information.

[1] I know that use of Listserv(r) as a generic term to refer to an
email list or email list management software is ubiquitious, and I'm
just pissing in the wind to fight it, but Listserv(r) is a registered
trademark[2] owned by the developer of a particular email list
management product, and it shouldn't be used generically.

My personal interest in this is not to protect the Listserv(r)
trademark, but rather to avoid confusing Listserv(r) email list
management software with any other email list management software
including GNU Mailman of which I am a developer.

[2] <http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp>