[Mailman-Users] NNTP server for "local" newsgroups ?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Wed Dec 23 21:57:49 CET 2009

On 12/22/09 22:24, John Fitzsimons wrote:
> Okay, IF an NNTP setup were part of Mailman then that would IMO
> encourage a huge number of hosters, that currently install Mailman,
> to consider opening that port. Particularly as you could put in the
> installation documents that the Mailman NNTP facility requires it.

I'm sure that hosts would consider running an NNTP server for a few
moments before considering the ramifications (to Mailman) of not doing
so before ultimately considering a different mailing list manager.

I think Mailman (as a mailing list manager) should remain separate from
a NNTP daemon.  Having Mailman take advantage of an NNTP server that
exists is wonderful.  Making the leap to requiring the use of a Mailman
rolled NNTP server is (IMHO) extremely arrogant.  Offering an optional
program that has been "tested to work with" (tm) is something completely
different and acceptable.

Further, you have some sites that are running Mailman on a server that
is already running a different NNTP server.  Are you going to tell these
sites that they have to switch from their current NNTP server to the one
that ships with Mailman?  What if they refuse to switch?  Does that mean
that they have chosen to abandon Mailman and go with another product?

Requiring a Mailman included NNTP server is a *VERY* big and (IMHO) bad
thing to do.

At most, I think there should be an optional component that is tested
and supported.  Any thing beyond that should be what we currently have,
best effort support to work with an alternative part NNTP server.

> You would be doing a gigantic service to newsgroup fans around the
> world. I sure hope you can manage this venture.

Is adding multiple additional news servers (that only carry groups for
the mailing lists hosted on the server) really such a good service?  Or
would it be better to (do what we currently do) gateway from Mailman and
an existing NNTP server.

> Well, if you pull this off, then IMO Mailman will blow competing
> products out of the water. Both freeware and payware.   :-)

There are already packages that provide web form / mailing list /
newsgroup / news server integration all in one.  Synchronet comes to mind.

Grant. . . .