[Mailman-Users] NNTP server for "local" newsgroups ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Wed Dec 23 05:24:36 CET 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:15:40 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:21 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

>> One can run "a local NNTP server" now. That connects to Mailman. I
>> assume that you are meaning that if Twisted were installed then
>> Twisted, or will it be Mailman, would provide the server ?

>Twisted would provide the server.

Okay.

>The only reason I'm thinking Twisted is because it might be easier to configure permissions for and integrate with Mailman.

Okay.

>But there might be other options, e.g. along the lines of using dovecot for IMAP.

>> Okay, but I am assuming that Gmane has port 119 open. Many sites that
>> provide Mailman wouldn't have it open. How could that be overcome ?

>Well, you'd have to open the appropriate port.

Okay, IF an NNTP setup were part of Mailman then that would IMO
encourage a huge number of hosters, that currently install Mailman,
to consider opening that port. Particularly as you could put in the
installation documents that the Mailman NNTP facility requires it.

You would be doing a gigantic service to newsgroup fans around the
world. I sure hope you can manage this venture.

> Gmane is a fine service,

Yep, as a "proof of concept" situation it works particularly well. Web
forum <> newsgroup post <> email mirroring. Few other people have
managed that.

>but it's run by a party you don't control.

Yes, and if one doesn't use it there is nobody else anywhere who can
provide a similar service. Even for a cost.  :-(

>The idea here is to run a server that you do control for sites that want to do that.

>-Barry

Well, if you pull this off, then IMO Mailman will blow competing
products out of the water. Both freeware and payware.   :-)

Regards, John.