[Mailman-Users] Server skips Mailman - more II

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 7 18:22:05 CET 2009

alexander at nautae.eti.br wrote:

>I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but... mailman should resolve
>a subdomain.

Mailman is not a DNS server. It doesn't 'resolve' domains.

>I have a contact.enterprise.com subdomain.
>
>And I don't have any list.contact.enterprise.com.

Actually, even the name server at ns1.enterprise.com has no A or MX
records for either domain, contact.enterprise.com or
lists.contact.enterprise.com.

That raises the issue of how external mail even gets far enough to get
a "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table"
error.

>I mean, Mailman should resolve directly the contact.enterprise.com
>
>I have a MX record in enterprise.com DNS server pointing to
>contact.enterprise.com.

Not that I can see?

dig mx contact.enterprise.com @ns1.enterprise.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> mx contact.enterprise.com @ns1.enterprise.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;contact.enterprise.com.                IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
enterprise.com.         14400   IN      SOA     ns1.enterprise.com.
dnsadmin.ent
erprise.com. 2009111900 3600 1800 2592000 14400

;; Query time: 70 msec
;; SERVER: 65.197.19.32#53(65.197.19.32)
;; WHEN: Mon Dec  7 09:11:

>And 'contact' machine is where the postfix/mailman is installed.
>
>I still stuck on "User unknown in virtual mailbox table".
>
>And I can't imagine why this error doesn't happen when I'm using an
>account (even from another domain) hosted at the same
>server/machine/postfix.

If I send mail to local_address at lists.contact.enterprise.com, there
MUST be an MX or an A record in DNS for lists.contact.enterprise.com,
or my MTA doesn't know where to attempt to deliver that mail. It
doesn't 'fall back' to contact.enterprise.com or enterprise.com; it
just gives up. All this has to work before the message will even get
to the server that Mailman is running on.

If the Mailman/Postfix server is contact.enterprise.com, you need an A
record for contact.enterprise.com and an MX record for
lists.contact.enterprise.com giving contact.enterprise.com as the
target. Otherwise, the mail will never get to your server.
Alternatively, you can have just an A record for
lists.contact.enterprise.com giving the IP address of the server.

You don't appear to have any of these DNS records.