[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe, not disable

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 30 02:57:29 CEST 2009

Thomas Gramstad wrote:

>Just to make sure I got the first part of the answer right:
>"Disable" is not the end-station -- delivery attempts or probing
>of the subscriber address will continue the defined number of
>times, and if still unsuccessful, the address will finally be
>unsubscribed. So the disabling will never lead to a list with a
>lot of dead addresses on it. They will be unsubscribed eventually
>(if they don't start working again). If that is the case, I need
>not worry about unsubscribing them, and can liberally allow the
>process to take its time. (Maybe speed the process up a little
>for big lists.)

That's more or less correct. If bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings is > 0
and cron/disabled is being run by cron, the user will be sent a total
of bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings, the first immediately and then at
intervals of bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval days. If the
user actually receives one of the warnings, she can either 'reply' or
follow a link in the message to re-enable delivery. Otherwise,
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval days after the last warning,
the user will be removed from the list.

So yes, as long as Mailman's cron jobs are running, users whose
delivery is disabled by bounce will either re-enable their own
delivery or they will be automatically removed in time.